Mom's Mexican Casserole. Easy, authentic Mexican recipe that my mom taught me. It's a casserole of tortilla chips mixed with eggs and salsa, and topped with cheese. Mom's Taco Casserole This is the taco casserole I grew up on, the one my Mom always made.
While Mexican casserole is tasty, it's also in the category of guilty pleasures. Normally, I try to eat healthier meals and to serve more vegetables for my family. Fortunately, you can change up this recipe so that it's healthier and still has the ease of a casserole and that delicious nacho flavor. You can have Mom's Mexican Casserole using 11 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Mom's Mexican Casserole
- You need 2 lb of lean ground beef.
- Prepare 1 medium of onion, chopped.
- Prepare 2 packages of Taco seasoning.
- It’s 1 can of rotel.
- Prepare 1 can of cream of onion soup.
- You need 1 can of cream of chicken with mushroom soup.
- You need 1 can of enchilada sauce.
- It’s 12 of corn tortillas.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of crushed nacho cheese doritos.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of shredded monterey jack cheese.
- Prepare 2 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
In a large skillet, brown meat and drain off fat. Stir in beans, tomatoes, onion, taco seasoning, soup and water. Add the chicken, salsa and cream cheese to a saute pan, heat stirring until cheese is melted and the chicken is heated through. Add the black beans and chiles and continue to heat ingredients.
Mom's Mexican Casserole step by step
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Brown ground beef with onion.
- Add taco seàsoning, salt and pepper if needed as well.
- In a separate pan heat rotel, both soups, and enchilada sauce together until blended smoothly.
- In a 9X13 casserole dish, spray with non stick oil, lay six corn tortillas down on bottom of pan.
- Take half of the seasoned ground beef and spread on tortillas, then half of the sauce mixture on top of beef.
- Then add the other 6 tortillas, beef, and sauce again.
- Bake for 30min, then add your crushed doritos and cheddar and Monterey jack cheese, bake for another 15min until melted and bubbley.
- Spoon it out and top it off with some fresh tomatoes and sour cream.
Layer into the prepared casserole as follows. This recipe is easy to make and feeds a crowd. This can be made more low-calorie by using ground turkey, fat free sour cream and low-calorie cream cheese. Serve with garlic bread and salad, if desired. Mexican Egg Casserole Tomatoes and green chiles give color and zip to this extra-cheesy egg bake.
Learn How to Improve Your Mood with Food Most of us have been conditioned to think that comfort foods are bad and must be avoided. Sometimes, if the comfort food is a sugary food or some other junk food, this holds true. At times, comfort foods can be very nourishing and good for us to eat. A number of foods actually do boost your mood when you eat them. When you are feeling a little down and are in need of an emotional boost, test out some of these. Eggs, you may be amazed to find out, are fantastic at combating depression. Just make sure that you do not throw out the egg yolk. The yolk is the most crucial part of the egg iwhen it comes to helping you cheer up. Eggs, specifically the yolks, are full of B vitamins. B vitamins can be terrific for boosting your mood. This is because these vitamins increase the function of your brain’s neural transmitters (the parts of the brain that dictate how you feel). Eat an egg and jolly up! Put together a trail mixout of various seeds and nuts. Your mood can be improved by consuming peanuts, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc. This is possible because these foods have a bunch of magnesium which promotes serotonin production. Serotonin is referred to as the “feel good” chemical and it tells your brain how you should be feeling day in and day out. The more you have of it, the more pleasant you will feel. Not only that, nuts, specifically, are a terrific protein food source. Cold water fish are good if you wish to feel happier. Cold water fish such as tuna, trout and wild salmon are high in DHA and omega-3 fatty acids. These are two substances that boost the quality and function of the grey matter in your brain. It’s the truth: eating tuna fish sandwiches can really help you fight your depression. Grains can be good for overcoming a terrible mood. Quinoa, millet, teff and barley are all really great for helping raise your happiness levels. They help you feel full as well which can really help to make your mood better. It’s not hard to feel depressed when you feel famished! The reason these grains are so good for your mood is that they are easy to digest. These foods are easier to digest than others which helps promote a rise in your blood glucose which in turn takes your mood to a happier place. Your mood can really be helped by green tea. You just knew it had to be mentioned in this article, right? Green tea is rich in an amino acid known as L-theanine. Studies have discovered that this amino acid basically induces brain waves. This helps improve your mental energy while simultaneously calming your body. You were already aware that green tea could help you be better. And now you are aware that green tea can help raise your mood also! See, you don’t need to consume all that junk food when you want to feel better! Test out these tips instead!