Kansai-style Okinomiyaki. Slowly beat in the okonomiyaki mix until it is well incorporated with the nagaimo/egg mixture. Mix the cabbage, kimchee, green onions and pickled ginger into the okonomiyaki batter. Okonomiyakiis a flag dish of Hiroshima prefecture and city, although it is popular also in Osaka and the whole Kansai region.
Hence, I often prepare this dish at home. After many recipe testing and looking up other recipes, I believe I've perfected this. Put one serving per person in a bowl each. You can have Kansai-style Okinomiyaki using 21 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Kansai-style Okinomiyaki
- Prepare 300 grams of ● Flour.
- Prepare 270 ml of ● Dashi stock (1 tablespoon of granules dissolved in 270 ml of water).
- You need 1 pinch of ● Salt.
- You need 100 ml of ●Milk.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ● Sugar.
- It’s 1 of ● Egg.
- Prepare 2 tsp of ● Baking powder.
- You need 15 of cm ● Japanese mountain yam (grated).
- It’s of 1 serving.
- Prepare 1 of ladle full ●.
- It’s 3/4 of of a bowl ○ Cabbage (julienned).
- Prepare 1 of as neccessary ○ Japanese leeks (thinly chopped).
- Prepare 1 of as necessary ○ Squid tentacles (cut into 1 cm pieces).
- Prepare 1 of ○ Tempura balls, dried baby shrimp, pickled red ginger.
- Prepare 1 of ○Egg.
- It’s of Toppings:.
- Prepare 1 of ☆ Pork, squid, shrimp, etc.
- Prepare of Sauce.
- It’s 2 tbsp of and 1 tablespoon ★ Tonkatsu sauce, ketchup.
- It’s 1 of ★ Mayonnaise.
- Prepare 1 of Bonito flakes, aonori.
It may seem like tedious work, but it's super simple! There may be more than enough batter. Perhaps the most common version is Osaka-style okonomiyaki, which is also known as the Kansai-style. Osaka is known for an inexpensive and abundant food culture.
Kansai-style Okinomiyaki step by step
- Mix ● ingredients together and chill the batter for an hour. If you sift the flour, it will prevent clumping. (I am lazy so I don't and mix it after the batter is chilled.).
- Prepare the cabbage, leeks, and squid. Roughly chop the squid body in big pieces, and the tentacles into 1 cm length..
- Mix one ladle of batter with ○ and mix with a spoon to incorporate air (but avoid over-mixing)..
- Preheat an electric griddle to the lowest temperature, and grease with vegetable oil. Pour batter from Step 3 and your favorite ingredients on top. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, flip over, lower the temperature to lowest and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes..
- Cover with a lid and cook over a high heat for a minute. Flip over, brush over with the sauce and it's done (I cooked 2). The heat and time measurements are approximate..
The other most widely-known version is the Hiroshima-style, which is layered. Kansai style okonomiyaki There are two kinds of okonomiyaki in Japan. One is more like a pancake and called Kansai style. Another is called Hiroshima style, and i has layers of each ingredient. Because I was born in Hiroshima I prefer Hiroshima style, but I make Kansai style often too.
Discover How to Improve Your Mood with Food For the most part, people have been taught to think that “comfort” foods are bad for the body and should be avoided. If your comfort food is candy or junk food this might be true. Other times, however, comfort foods can be altogether nourishing and it’s good for you to eat them. There are a number of foods that, when you consume them, may improve your mood. If you feel a little bit down and need a happiness pick me up, try some of these. Eggs, would you believe, are great for helping you combat depression. Just make sure that you don’t toss out the yolk. Every time you wish to cheer yourself up, the egg yolk is the most crucial part of the egg. Eggs, particularly the egg yolks, are loaded with B vitamins. B vitamins can actually help you boost your mood. This is because these vitamins help your neural transmitters–the parts of your brain that affect your mood–run better. Try eating some eggs to jolly up! Make a trail mixfrom different seeds and nuts. Your mood can be improved by consuming peanuts, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etcetera. This is because these foods are rich in magnesium, which helps to raise serotonin levels. Serotonin is a feel-good chemical substance that tells the brain how to feel at any given time. The more you have of it, the better you will feel. Not just that but nuts, in particular, are a terrific source of protein. Cold water fish are great if you want to feel better. Herring, trout, tuna, wild salmon, and mackerel are all high in omega-3 fats and DHA. These are two substances that boost the quality and function of the gray matter in your brain. It’s true: eating a tuna fish sandwich can really help you overcome depression. It’s not difficult to overcome your bad mood when you consume grains. Barley, quinoa, millet, teff, etc are all wonderful for helping you feel better. They can help you feel full for longer too, which is a mood improver. Feeling famished can really bring you down! The reason these grains are so wonderful for your mood is that they are not hard for your body to digest and process. You digest these grains more quickly than other foods which can help promote your blood sugar levels, which, in turn, helps make you feel more pleasant, mood wise. Green tea is really great for your mood. You knew it had to be mentioned in this article, right? Green tea is rich in a specific amino acid known as L-theanine. Studies have found that this amino acid basically stimulates brain waves. This helps better your mental focus while calming the rest of your body. You knew that green tea helps you feel a lot healthier. Now you know that green tea can elevate your mood too! Now you can see that junk food isn’t necessarily what you should eat when you wish to help your moods get better. Try some of these instead!