Seafood Gumbo. Read Customer Reviews & Find Best Sellers. Seafood Gumbo Gumbo is one dish that makes Louisiana cuisine so famous. We live across the state line in Texas and can't seem to get enough of this traditional gumbo recipe that features okra, shrimp, spicy seasonings and what is called the holy trinity—onions, green peppers and celery.
Some opt for seafood, others for chicken and andouille. For this recipe, we chose to fill the gumbo with heady seafood ingredients such as fresh crabmeat, shrimp, and oysters. This is a real SEAFOOD gumbo. You can have Seafood Gumbo using 27 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Seafood Gumbo
- You need of Roux ingredients.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of bacon drippings.
- It’s 1 cup of flour.
- You need of Vegetable mix.
- Prepare 1 cup of chopped celery.
- You need 1 of large green bell pepper.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare 1 pound of andouille sausage.
- It’s 1 of yellow onion.
- You need of Gumbo base.
- It’s 3 quarts of water.
- It’s 6 cubes of beef bouillon.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- You need to taste of Salt.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of hot pepper sauce (Louisiana hot sauce).
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of Cajon Seasoning.
- You need 4 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme leaves.
- You need 14.5 ounce of can stewed tomatoes.
- It’s 6 ounce of can tomato sauce.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of gumbo file powder.
- It’s of Seafood mix.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar.
- Prepare 1 pound of lump crabmeat.
- You need 3 pounds of uncooked medium shrimp (peeled and deveined).
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of Worcester shire sauce.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of gumbo file powder.
This is the best gumbo I've ever had. The crab boil is the key ingredient – do not omit it. The smell will drive you nuts!!! Originating in Louisiana it combines the cuisines and ingredients of several cultures including West African, French, German, and Choctaw.
Seafood Gumbo step by step
- Make roux mix by whisking flour and bacon drippings constantly in sauce pan over medium-low heat until rich mahogany color. Remove from heat until it stops cooking. Usually 8-15 minutes..
- Place celery, onion, green bell pepper, and garlic in food processor on pulse until finely chopped. Mix vegetables and sausage into roux mix and place back over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender. Usually 10-15 minutes..
- Bring water and beef bouillon to boil in large pot (8 quarts or larger). Whisk the roux mix into boiling water once the cubes disolve. Reduce to simmer then mix in the rest of the base: sugar, salt, hot sauce, Cajon seasoning, bay leaves, thyme, stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Simmer for 1 hour and add the file gumbo powder at the 45 minute mark..
- Mix in shrimp, crab meat, Worsteshire and white vinegar into gumbo and simmer for another 45 minutes. Mix in file gumbo powder before serving..
Emeril's Classic Seafood Gumbo Some form of gumbo is always on the menu at Emeril's Restaurant. This classic seafood version, which is chock-full of shrimp, fish, and oysters swimming in a broth richly flavored with gumbo crabs, is always a hit. Ben Thibodeaux, chef de cuisine of Dickie Brennan's Tableauin Le Petit Theatre, says, "Our warm, fertile waters help our blue crabs get nice and fat, which lends a sweetness to the seafood gumbo. Once again, there seems to be some mistake between cajun and creole cooking, and then another completely separate group of people trying to replicate a gumbo without thinking. Cajun people do not use tomatoes and okra in their gumbo.
Turn to Food to Improve Your Mood A lot of us have been conditioned to believe that comfort foods are bad and must be avoided. Often, if your comfort food is candy or another junk food, this is very true. Otherwise, comfort foods could be really healthy and good for you. Several foods actually do raise your mood when you eat them. If you feel a little bit down and you need a happiness pick me up, try some of these. Eggs, believe it or not, can be really great at dealing with depression. Just be sure that you do not throw away the egg yolk. The yolk is the part of the egg that is the most important in terms of helping you cheer up. Eggs, the egg yolks in particular, are rich in B vitamins. The B vitamin family can be terrific for elevating your mood. This is because these vitamins improve the function of your brain’s neural transmitters (the parts of the brain that tell you how to feel). Eat some eggs to jolly up! Make a trail mix from seeds and/or nuts. Peanuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, almonds, pumpkin seeds, etcetera are all great for helping to boost your mood. This is because seeds and nuts have plenty of magnesium which raises your brain’s serotonin levels. Serotonin is a feel-good substance that directs the brain how to feel at any given moment. The more serotonin in your brain, the more pleasant you’ll feel. Nuts, in addition to improving your mood, can be a great protein source. Cold water fish are good if you want to feel better. Wild salmon, herring, mackerel, trout, and tuna are all rich in omega-3 fats and DHA. DHA and omega-3s are two things that improve the quality and the function of your brain’s grey matter. It’s true: consuming a tuna fish sandwich can seriously raise your mood. It’s not difficult to overcome your bad mood when you consume grains. Barley, quinoa, millet, teff, etc are all excellent for helping you be in a happier state of mind. They help you feel full as well which can actually help to better your mood. Feeling starved can really bring you down! These grains can improve your mood since it’s not at all difficult for your body to digest them. You digest these foods quicker than other foods which can help increase your blood sugar levels, which, in turn, helps make you feel better, mood wise. Your mood can really be helped by green tea. You were simply waiting to read that in this article, weren’t you? Green tea is rich in a particular amino acid called L-theanine. Studies prove that this particular amino acid can actually induce brain waves. This helps sharpen your mental energy while at the same time calming your body. You knew that green tea helps you feel healthier. Now you know it can help raise your mood too! Now you can see that junk food isn’t necessarily what you have to eat when you wish to help your moods get better. Test out these hints instead!