Chinese Scallion Pancake (葱油饼) (cōng yóu bǐng). Chinese scallion pancakes are always such a hit at dim sum. You've likely seen them as an appetizer or side dish to go with all those stir-fry dishes that The secret to scallion pancakes is the crispy, flaky exterior that gives way to a slightly chewy interior of thin layers. An informative guide to making scallion pancakes.
Scallion pancakes (Cong You Bing, 葱油饼) are a very popular staple food in China. The best ways to make authentic, flaky Chinese scallion pancakes, 葱油饼. Cong you bing, also known as scallion pancake, is a Chinese, savory, unleavened flatbread folded with oil and minced scallions (green onions). You can cook Chinese Scallion Pancake (葱油饼) (cōng yóu bǐng) using 7 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chinese Scallion Pancake (葱油饼) (cōng yóu bǐng)
- It’s 4 cups of flour.
- It’s of Extra flour.
- You need 2 cups of cold water.
- You need 1 cup of hot water.
- You need of Salt.
- You need of Vegetable oil.
- Prepare 3 bundles of green onion/scallion.
Unlike Western pancakes, it is made from dough instead of batter. It is pan-fried which gives it crisp edges yet also a chewy texture. A great scallion pancake is crunchy on the outside and tender and a bit chewy on the inside. My first experience with Cong You Bing (葱油饼), or scallion pancakes was in Shanghai a number of years ago.
Chinese Scallion Pancake (葱油饼) (cōng yóu bǐng) instructions
- Mix the cold water and hot water together to create warm/lukewarm water. Mix this water slowly with the flour in a bowl and mix to create a wet dough. It should look shaggy and is a little bit sticky to the touch..
- Once the flour is fully incorporated and there isn’t any dry spots or wet spots, form into a ball and rest in a bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp towel to keep it moist while you let it rise a little. Let it sit in room temperature for about 30 minutes..
- While the dough rests, cut the green onion. Cut into thin slices..
- Once the dough is rested, remove and place on a flour dusted workspace. Begin kneading the dough. This dough will take in a lot of flour so take extra flour and continue to dust, kneading and massaging until it isn’t sticky to the touch anymore..
- On a flour dusted work surface, begin to roll the dough out into a nice round shape, ensuring that it is evenly flattened out. Make sure both sides of the dough are nicely floured so it doesn’t stick to the table or the rolling pin..
- Sprinkle a generous amount of salt and oil over the surface of the dough. You can use your hand to spread the oil evenly or fold the dough over lightly and “squish” the two together to evenly distribute the oil and salt. Return dough to the rough shape..
- Cover the surface of the dough with a generous amount of green onions..
- Roll the dough, just like you would a cinnamon bun. Roll tightly..
- Cut the log into evenly sized pieces..
- Optional: pinch and squeeze the ends of each piece closed..
- Generously flour both sides of the piece and place the cut side on the table. Flatten each piece into a large and thin circle, just like a pancake, but larger and thinner. Continually flour both sides so that it doesn’t stick. The flour also helps the roll not open up, but rather stick back together..
- Once it is rolled out nice and thin (as thin as you can get it, but not crazy thin), you’re ready to cook it..
- Place the pancake on a hot oiled frying pan on medium to medium high heat and cook eat side until nice and crisp and browned..
- It’s ready to eat as soon as it comes off the frying pan. You can keep it whole and people can just tear it up when eating it, or you can cut it into quarter slices. Enjoy! This goes really well with other dishes, but some people eat this as a main dish. My family eats this as a side dish..
I was staying in one of the city's first boutique. Cut scallion pancake into wedges and serve as is or with your favorite dipping sauce. Start studying 葱油饼 Chinese Scallion Pancake. Learn vocabulary, terms and more with flashcards, games and other study tools. STUDY. 葱(cōng). scallion (green onion). 饼(bǐng). pancake.
Eating 14 Superfoods Is A Superb Way To Go Green For Better Health One terrific thing about going green is opting to take life easier and enjoy yourself along the way. It is possible to accomplish this, even in this hectic world we are living in. We should take a step back and fight diseases before they happen. The majority of men and women think nothing of mistreating their bodies today and fixing them with a pill later. We’re barraged with advertisements for magic pills that are supposed to fix any problem instantly. Of course, you may get better by taking a pill but not if you keep on doing the same old bad habits. Once your body wears out, you cannot get a new one, like your car. You mustn’t wait too long or it will be too late to look after your health. Your body needs the right nutrients to function at its best levels. When you eat, do you eat out of convenience or taste without seeing if what you are putting in your mouth is good for you? Do you usually eat junk food and a good deal of fried foods from fast food joints? Consuming sugar and starches, as well as greasy foods, is it any surprise that new diseases are being discovered all of the time? There is an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and several others, likely induced by the foods that are consumed. People are at last realizing the importance of their food choices and are becoming more concerned about their health. Many good food are now found at your local health food store or farmer’s market. Majority of grocery stores nowadays have organic foods. There you will be able to get what science has named superfoods. Superfoods is the name given to 14 specific foods that can slow down or reverse certain serious illnesses. You will observe that you think more clearly when you begin to ingest these foods. When you replace the junk food with the superfoods, you will notice an amazing increase in how healthy you feel. Your body will begin to work as it is supposed to when you supply it with the correct nutrition. In this case, the immune system is better able to fight off any disease. You have to have several superfoods in your diet daily. Foods such as beans and berries are great to start. Things that are green, such as broccoli, spinach, and green tea. Add in whole food grains and nuts. Make sure you eat proteins such as soya beans, yogurt, salmon, and turkey, plus orange fruits and veggies like oranges, pumpkins, and tomatoes. Making these foods a usual part of your diet will eliminate your weight problems. Following a green living meal plan will give you just what you need for good health. Your immune system will be much improved, and your body is likely to become disease free. You can expect to have a healthy future by modifying your food choices now.