Caribbean Rice and Peas. Or sometimes referred to as "rice and peas" if made with pigeon peas or yellow peas. Here, I used kidney beans instead of the traditional one. What makes this dish so enticing is coconut milk, coupled with scotch bonnet pepper (hot pepper), onions, garlic, thyme.
The peas in this aren't really peas at all, but red beans. It is customary in the Caribbean to refer to beans as peas. This recipe uses coconut cream, but the flavor is mild and not overpowering–just enough to give a hint of island flavor. You can have Caribbean Rice and Peas using 10 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Caribbean Rice and Peas
- Prepare 1 can of coconut milk.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of rice.
- It’s 1 tbsp of salt.
- It’s 1 can of red kidney beans /gunga peas.
- It’s 2 stick of fresh thyme.
- You need 1 cup of water.
- You need 1 pinch of black pepper.
- It’s 1 of whole scotch bonnet pepper.
- It’s 3 clove of fresh garlic.
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oil/sunflower oil.
Jamaican Rice and Peas (or Caribbean Red Beans and Coconut Rice) is an easy and flavorful side dish that brings a fun tropical flair to your meal. They are often used in Latin and Caribbean cooking, and can be found canned or dried in many Latin grocery stores. Since pigeon peas are not particularly. This fluffy Jamaican rice dish features authentic Caribbean flavors like fragrant ginger, sweet coconut milk and a kick of Scotch bonnet pepper.
Caribbean Rice and Peas step by step
- Slice the onions fine and fry until soft in the oil.
- Add a sprig of the fresh thyme and cut some scotch bonnet in if you like you food with a bit of heat!!.
- Crush the garlic cloves in and continue to fry for a couple mins.
- Add the beans/peas.. drain from can.
- Seasoning time! Add your salt and pepper..
- *Should be smelling real aromatic now,especially with that fresh thyme!!*.
- Fry until the beans/peas just start to break up a bit, this will add flavour to the finished dish..
- Add your rice and stir.
- Add your coconut milk and your water.
- Add the whole scotch bonnet and the remainder of your fresh thyme.
- Give it a good stir,taste if enough seasoning. Cover your pot and leave to cook on a low heat..
- Should take approx 30-35 mins. You will see once it's done because all the liquid will dry up. Leave to cool and fluff the cooked rice with a fork..
- Note: If you notice the liquid is drying up but the rice is still not fully cook through, just add more water as appropriate,cover the lid and continue to cook..
Add the rice, bay leaves and the black-eyed peas with their liquid to the skillet and bring to a boil; do not stir. Remove the saucepan from the heat and fluff the rice with a fork. This Jamaican Rice and Peas Recipe is the BEST quintessential Caribbean side with perfectly fluffed rice and delicious red beans with a hint of coconut flavor and spices galore. It is the perfect accompaniment to Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken, Jerk Chicken and plantains. Rice and Peas, still to this day, is traditionally served on Sundays.
Eating 14 Superfoods Is A Great Way To Go Green For Better Health One great thing about going green is deciding to take life easier and enjoy yourself along the way. It is possible to attain this, even in this hectic world we are in. We must get back to the point where it was a better idea to prevent disease in the first place. Numerous folks have the attitude of ruining the body today, and mend it with a pill later on. You can’t turn around without hearing about the current pill to cure you of your health problems. Naturally, several of these pills do help but only if you couple them with a change in lifestyle. When your body wears out, you won’t be able to trade it in for a new one, like your car. You must learn how to look after your body before it is too late. Your body cannot run properly if it fails to receive proper nutrition. When you put food into your mouth, are you concerned about the nutritional value or merely eat whatever tastes good at the time? Do you regularly eat junk food and a good deal of fried foods from fast food places? Since a lot of folks decide to consume things full of sugar, starch, and fat, more and more illnesses are found. There is an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and several others, likely caused by the foods that are consumed. A lot of people are recognizing the importance of their food choices and are becoming more health conscious. Good nutritious food is now readily available at local grocery and health food stores. Nowadays, you can find an organic food aisle in just about all grocery stores. This food section is full of what are now acknowledged as superfoods. The term superfoods refers to 14 foods that have been discovered to delay or reverse particular maladies. By ingesting these superfoods, your body will become healthier. Once you trade in the junk food for these super foods, you will be astonished at how healthy you will soon feel. Your body will start to function as it was meant to when you provide it with the right nutrition. As a result, the immune system can fight off any illness. You must include a few superfoods in your diet daily. Foods such as beans and berries are very good. Leafy veggies, such as broccoli, spinach, and green tea. Whole food grains, and oats, plus an assortment of nuts, mainly walnuts. Be sure to include proteins such as soya, yogurt, salmon, and turkey, plus orange fruits and veggies like oranges, pumpkins, and tomatoes. When you consume these superfoods regularly, you should eliminate any weight problems. You will enjoy great health when you choose to eat the green living way. You will discover that your immune system becomes stronger and your body will be able to ward off disease. Ensure your future health by adopting healthy eating habits right now.