Jamaican red peas soup. Caribbean Red Peas Soup (stewed peas) Jamaican Red Pea Soup recipe is definitely a family favourite, and one of the most recognisable soups to come out of Jamaica. With it full of juicy dumplings, beef, yam, sweet potato, and hot spices such as scotch bonnet and pimento seeds – it's sure to get your stomach warm and full!
Traditional Jamaican red peas soup with pig's tail, sweet potato and coconut milk. Cook until the pig's tail and peas is partially cook. These useful spices can be used to cook so many different meals! You can cook Jamaican red peas soup using 17 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Jamaican red peas soup
- Prepare 3/4 lb of pig tail (cut in pieces).
- Prepare 1/2 lb of stew beef (cut in pieces).
- It’s 3/4 lb of Red peas.
- Prepare 1 1/2 pack of grace cock soup.
- It’s 1/2 lb of flour.
- It’s 4 tbs of cornmeal.
- It’s 1/2 lb of yam.
- You need 1/2 lb of sweet potato.
- Prepare of pimento seeds.
- Prepare 2 stalks of escallion.
- You need 1 sprig of thyme.
- You need 1 of green scotch bonnet pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 lb of pumpkin.
- You need 1 of small dasheen (to thicken soup).
- Prepare 1 pk of Kendel coconut powder.
- Prepare 2 of pegs garlic.
- It’s 10 of pimento seeds.
Rich and decadent, Jamaican Red Peas Soup (actually made with Red Kidney Beans) is thick, creamy and full of meat, dumplings and ground provisions, making it perfect for a summer starter or a warming winter meal. The traditional recipe calls for stewing beef along with salted pig tails or ham hocks. A traditional Jamaican Red Pea Soup recipe for those who want to take the time to soak dry Red Peas (Kidney Beans). Soak the dry Red Peas and the pig's tail or salt beef overnight.
Jamaican red peas soup step by step
- Rinse pig's tail and beef with vinegar and water..
- Boil pig tail for about 5 mins., to get rid of excess salt..
- Rinse peas and place in pressure cooker, dice pumpkin and dasheen and add to peas along with garlic and pimento seeds. Add enough water to cover the peas. Then bring to a boil..
- Pour about 6 cups tap water in the pressure cooker, then add meat. cover and pressure for 30 minutes. (start counting after the pressure cooker starts making that sound :)).
- Remove from heat and allow the cooker to cool, then open. remove meat if they are already tender..
- Pour out the contents of the pressure cooker in another pot, or use an ordinary cover on the pressure cooker. Use the flour and cornmeal to make dumplings, peel and slice yam and sweet potato or any other ground provision you like, add to the pot..
- Mix the coconut cream in 1 cup warm water and add to pot.
- Add, cock soup, escallion, thyme and scotch bonnet pepper. Cover and allow food to cook. This will take about 15 minutes. Add cooked meat when about 5 mins remain..
- Stir regularly to prevent sticking..
- Remove from heat, and enjoy!.
Next day put Red Peas in a large saucepan, cover with water, bring to the boil, turn heat down to a simmer. Remove the whole hot pepper and thyme sprig before serving. Red peas soup is a soup eaten in Jamaica. It is made of kidney beans (known locally as red peas), seasonings such as scotch bonnet pepper, pimento seeds, etc. Red Peas Soup is usually eaten with yam and Jamaican dumplings.
Going Green for Good Health By Eating Superfoods One good feature of going green is choosing to take life easier and enjoy yourself along the way. Even with the fast pace of our modern-day world, you can accomplish this. We need to go back to a lifestyle that prevents disease before it needs treating. A lot of people think nothing of abusing their bodies today and fixing them with a pill later. We’re bombarded with adverts for magic pills that are supposed to fix any problem with the snap of a finger. Naturally, several of these pills are able to help but only if you couple them with shift in your lifestyle. When your body wears out, you won’t be able to get a new one, like your car. You mustn’t wait too long or it will be too late to look after your health. Your body needs the right nutrients to run at its optimum levels. When you eat, do you eat out of convenience or taste without seeing if what you are eating is beneficial for you? Do you typically eat junk food and lots of fried foods from fast food places? As people opt to consume things full of sugar, starch, and fat, more and more illnesses are found. There is an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, and several others, probably triggered by the foods that are eaten. Many people are realizing the importance of their food choices and are becoming more conscious about their health. Today it is so easy to find quality foods by shopping at a local farmer’s market or health food store. Almost all grocery stores these days have organic foods. This aisl is full of what are today acknowledged as superfoods. Superfoods is the name given to 14 specific foods that can slow down or reverse certain serious maladies. You will observe that you think more clearly when you consume these superfoods. When you trade in the junk food for these super foods, you will be amazed at how healthy you will soon feel. By getting the proper nutrition, your body will work the way it is supposed to work. By doing this, your immune system will easily fend off maladies. Be sure to incorporate these superfoods into your daily eating routine. Why not add some beans or blueberries? Leafy veggies, such as broccoli, spinach, and green tea. Whole food grains, and oats, together with a variety of nuts, mainly walnuts. Be sure to consume proteins such as soy, yogurt, salmon, and turkey, plus orange fruits and veggies like oranges, pumpkins, and tomatoes. When you eat these superfoods regularly, you should get rid of any weight gain problems. Observing a green living meal plan will give you precisely what you need to become healthy and fit. Your body will be free of disease as you build up your immune system. You can expect to have a healthy future by modifying your food choices now.