Mike's New England Clam Chowder & Homemade Croutons. Bring the clam juice and potato back to a boil. Whisk in a ladleful of clam juice into the roux then gradually whisk the roux into the soup pot until it thickens. Try this clam chowder recipe and get more comfort food recipes and ideas from Food.com.
This lightened-up New England Clam Chowder recipe is made with milk instead of heavy cream. Yet it's just as rich, creamy, hearty and delicious a clam chowder soup as ever. When done right, clam chowder should be rich and filling, but not sludgy or stew-like. You can have Mike's New England Clam Chowder & Homemade Croutons using 17 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Mike's New England Clam Chowder & Homemade Croutons
- You need 1 (28 oz) of Can Baby Clams [reserve all juices].
- You need 28 oz of Chicken Broth.
- Prepare 1 Cup of Heavy Cream.
- You need 1 1/2 Cups of Celery [chopped with leaves].
- It’s 1 1/2 Cups of White Onion [chopped].
- Prepare 3 Cups of Potatoes [peeled and chopped].
- You need 2 of Garlic Cloves [fine chop].
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Dried Thyme.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Old Bay Seasoning.
- You need 1 tsp of Crushed Saffron Threads.
- It’s of Salt & Black Pepper [to taste].
- You need 2 of Bay Leaves [pull leaves after simmer].
- You need 2 tablespoons of Butter.
- Prepare of Fresh Parsley [as needed for garnish].
- You need 1 of Baguette Loaf [+ 2 tbs butter – dash garlic oil or powder – parsley].
- You need 3 tablespoons of AP Flour.
- You need 2 tbs of Corn Starch & Water [for thickener – optional].
But what is the best way to cook chowder? Can the dump-and-simmer method be improved upon by some modern technique? I decided to break it down element by element and figure out how to make the platonic. New England Clam Chowder with Homemade Bread BowlsOh So Delicioso.
Mike's New England Clam Chowder & Homemade Croutons instructions
- Here's what you'll need. Flour and Saffron not pictured..
- Fine chop your vegetables. Add butter, onions, celery, garlic, thyme, black pepper, salt, bay leaves and Old Bay to your pot. Stir well and simmer for 10 minutes until vegetables are slightly translucent. Stir regularly. You don't want to burn your garlic..
- Add your flour and stir well and often for 5 minutes. You're burning out that flour taste..
- Drain your clams and reserve all fluids. Set clams to the side..
- Add all fluids to your pot. Peel and chop potatoes into 1/2" cubes. Place them in pot. You're peeling and chopping your potatoes last since they will brown unless soaked in water..
- Simmer for 20 minutes or, until your potatoes have softened. Add salt and pepper to taste..
- At this point you'll have the option to thicken your chowder. You'll do it at this point exactly since as the potatoes soften, they will thicken the broth. To thicken: Add 2 tablespoons Corn Starch to 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl and mix well. Slowly add your starch mixture and allow pot to simmer back up. It'll thicken up quickly. Add additional starch to thicken more. I usually add the full 2 tablespoons but it's your call..
- Add your clams, stir and simmer 1 minute. No longer or you'll have extremely chewy clams. Pull pot from heat source and cover..
- For the croutons: Slice baguette bread into 1" cubes. Add 2 tablespoons butter and a dash of garlic oil or, couple dashes of garlic powder a pan and heat. Place croutons in heated butter. Fry for 3 minutes or, until crispy and coated. Fine chop parsley and add to pan. Mix quickly and well. Drain croutons on paper towels. Serve immediately..
- Garnish bowl with fresh parsley and place your croutons on top. Enjoy!.
- Feel free to garnish with fresh clams as well. Just steam clams in a slight amount of water until they open. Discard any that don't open..
I love campbell's new england clam chowder but I can never find it in the small cans locally, so I was very happy to see it here on amazon. If I saw cans in this condition in a grocery store I wouldn't buy them for any price. For the ultimate clam chowder recipe that was not too thin and watery or too thick and floury, we settled on medium-size littlenecks or small cherrystones. Included in your trial membership: All Foolproof Recipes on America's Test Kitchen, Cook's Illustrated, and Cook's Country. Enjoy delicious condensed Campbell's New England Clam Chowder.
Consume These 14 Superfoods to Go Green for Better Health Learning to slow down and enjoy your life is one aspect of going green that many folks appreciate. This is possible no matter how busy and frantic your life is. We should take a step back and fix diseases before they occur. Numerous folks have the attitude of destryong the body today, and fix it with a pill the next day. No matter where you look, you read about some magic pill that will at once fix your latest problem. There are a few pills that help, but only if you make a couple of needed alterations in your life. When your body quites functioning right, you cannot obtain a brand new body. You need to learn how to look after your body before it is too late. Your body requires the right nutrients to operate at its most effective levels. Do you eat because something is available and you enjoy the taste or do you opt for nutritional foods? How frequently do you eat at your local fast food place or get junk food at the local mini mart? As people decide to eat things full of sugar, starch, and fat, more and more illnesses are being discovered. A growing number of people are developing diabetes, high blood pressure, and other diseases due to the foods they eat. Men and women are becoming increasingly concerned about their health, and eating better, because they are tired of feeling poorly. Lots of healthy food can now be available at your local health food store or farmer’s market. Nearly all grocery stores these days have organic foods. In this aisle, you’ll find superfoods. Superfoods is the name given to 14 specific foods that can retard or reverse certain serious illnesses. Eating these superfoods will improve your mental awareness and capabilities. Once you trade in the junk food for these super foods, you will be surprised at how healthy you will soon feel. By getting the correct nutrition, your body will function the way it is supposed to run. In this case, the immune system can fight off any malady. Your daily diet should contain at least several of these super foods. Foods such as beans and berries are very good. Then, add several green vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, or green tea. Whole grains, and oats, along with a mix of nuts, mainly walnuts. In addition, you may want to consume salmon, turkey, yogurt, soya bean, tomatoes, oranges, and pumpkins. If you eat the foods in this list, you won’t ever have to worry about gaining weight again. You will enjoy good health when you choose to eat the green living way. You will see that your immune system becomes healthier and your body will be able to fight against disease. Ensur
e your future health by switching to healthy eating habits today.