Feast of Seven Fishes II – Ghalieh Mahi | Persian Cod With Herbs and Tamarind. Ghalieh Mahi is a fragrant fish dish that originates from northern Iran in the Caspian Sea region where fresh fish is abundant. The Feast of the Seven Fishes (Italian: Festa dei sette pesci), also known as The Eve (La Vigilia, cognate to The Vigil), is an Italian-American celebration of Christmas Eve with dishes of fish and. The feast originated with serving seven courses made up of classic Italian seafood dishes, and today, many families create their own customized versions of this tradition.
Growing up in New Jersey among so many Italians, I thought every Italian family celebrated Christmas Eve with the Feast of the Seven Fishes, a tidal wave of seafood dishes each featuring a different fish or shellfish. There is no such thing as the "Feast of the Seven Fishes" in the Roman Catholic calendar. (In fact, in Roman Catholicism, a feast day has nothing to do with gorging yourself and everything to do with reflecting on and celebrating an important aspect of the faith, often the life of a saint.) Movcloud Choose This Server. A slice of life story that follows a large Italian family on Christmas Eve as they prepare for the traditional Feast of the Seven Fishes, reminisce about the past, and seek love in the future. You can have Feast of Seven Fishes II – Ghalieh Mahi | Persian Cod With Herbs and Tamarind using 32 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Feast of Seven Fishes II – Ghalieh Mahi | Persian Cod With Herbs and Tamarind
- You need of Fish:.
- Prepare 6 of Cod / Halibut Fillets,.
- You need of Granulated Sugar, 300g or More.
- It’s of Sea Salt, 300g or More.
- Prepare of Canola / Peanut / Grapeseed / Vegetable Oil, For Frying.
- You need of Ghee, 6 Heaped TBSP.
- It’s Pinch of Parsley Coarsely Chopped,.
- It’s Pinch of Coriander Coarsely Chopped,.
- It’s Pinch of Scallions White Parts Coarsely Chopped,.
- It’s Pinch of Mint Coarsely Chopped,.
- Prepare of Herbs:.
- It’s 3 TBSP of Olive Oil,.
- Prepare 3 Bunches of Parsley Coarsely Chopped,.
- You need 3 Bunches of Coriander Coarsely Chopped,.
- It’s of Scallions White & Green Parts Coarsely Chopped, 2 Bunches + More For Garnishing.
- It’s 3 Bunches of Mint Coarsely Chopped,.
- You need 1/3 Cup of Dried Fenugreek,.
- It’s of White Pepper, 1 TSP Adjust To Preference.
- You need of Stew:.
- It’s of Olive Oil, 2 TBSP + More.
- Prepare 2 of Yellow Onion Finely Sliced,.
- You need Pinch of Sea Salt,.
- It’s Pinch of Demerara Sugar,.
- It’s Pinch of White Pepper,.
- You need 5 Cloves of Garlic Crushed,.
- Prepare 2 TBSP of Turmeric Powder,.
- You need of Red Chili Flakes, 2 TSP Adjust To Preference.
- You need 2.5 Cups of Vegetable Stock,.
- You need of Tamarind Paste, 1/4 Cup Adjust To Preference.
- It’s of Fresh Lemon Juice, 1/2 Lemon.
- You need of Fresh Lemon Zest, 1/2 Lemon.
- Prepare Pinch of Dried Mushroom Powder,.
The Feast of Seven Fishes is an Italian-American Christmas Eve tradition celebrated with seven seafood dishes, or seven kinds of seafood (but sometimes more, because, why not celebrate with abbondanza?), ranging from tasty appetizers to sides to main dishes. The type of pesce served varies. This FEAST involves SEVEN courses, all featuring some sort of FISH or seafood. Maybe your Nonna butchered live eels in the sink for her feast.
Feast of Seven Fishes II – Ghalieh Mahi | Persian Cod With Herbs and Tamarind step by step
- Prepare the fish. Check for any bones on the fish fillets. Wash and pat them dry with a kitchen towel. Mix sugar and salt in a container with a lid. Place the fish on the sugar-salt mixture. Sprinkle some more sugar-salt mixture over the fish. It is best to cover the fish fillets fully. You may need more sugar and salt. Cover and chill in the fridge for 24 hrs..
- Prepare the herbs. In a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil. Once the oil is heated up, add parsley, coriander, scallions and mint. Saute until they start to stick to the bottom of the skillet. It should take about 15 mins. Add in fenugreek and pepper. Saute to combine well. Remove from heat and cover. Set aside for 5 mins..
- Prepare the stew. In another skillet over medium heat, add olive oil. Once the oil is heated up, add the onion. Season with salt, pepper and sugar. Saute until the onion is lightly caramelized. It should take about 10 to 15 mins. Add in garlic..
- Saute until aromatic. Add in turmeric and 1 TBSP of olive oil Saute until well combined and aromatic. Add in chili flakes and saute to combine well. Deglaze the skillet with vegetable stock. Bring it up to simmer..
- Allow it to simmer for 1 to 2 mins. Remove from heat and transfer this stew into the herbs mixture. Return the skillet back over medium heat. Add in tamarind. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt, pepper and sugar. Stir to combine well..
- Add 6 more TBSP of olive oil. Bring it up to a slow simmer. Turn the heat down to low and cover. Continue to simmer for about 15 to 20 mins or until the oil separates and floats to the top. *Stir occasionally to prevent burning.*.
- Lastly, add in lemon juice and zest. Carefully, transfer into a blender. Add mushroom powder. Blitz until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings again with salt, pepper, sugar and tamarind. Transfer back into the skillet..
- Add about 1/4 cup of water into the blender. Blitz to clean up all the leftover nooks and crannies. Pour this water mixture into the sauce to loosen up. Stir to combine well. Bring up to a simmer. Remove from heat and transfer into a large bowl and set aside. *The sauce should not be as thick as a paste or too loose like a stew; somewhere in the middle.*.
- Cooking the fish. After curing for 24 hrs, the sugar-salt mixture should have melted partially. Wash the fish fillets thoroughly under running water to wash off excess sugar and salt. Pat them dry with a kitchen towel. In a skillet over medium heat, add 3 TBSP of oil..
- Heat the oil up to almost smoking point. *No need to season the fish as they already been cured.* Place the fish, skin side down, away from you, onto the skillet. Using a slotted spatula, gently press the fish down. *This will prevent the skin from shrinking.*.
- Tilt and baste the fish with all the liquid. Once the bottom starts to crisp up, add in ghee, coriander, parsley, scallions and mint. Tilt and continue basting the fish all the liquid for about 1-2 mins. Remove from skillet and set aside to rest. *Do this in batches. Do not crowd the skillet.*.
- Repeat the process for the remaining fish. Transfer the sauce onto the serving plate. Place the fish onto the sauce. Garnish with some finely chopped green parts of scallions. Serve immediately..
- You can view the recipe video: www.instagram.com/tv/CH20LPdFsgM/.
But uh, we will not be doing that. Every year on Christmas Eve, people celebrate the Feast of the Seven Fishes.
The Italian tradition involves family gathering for a ~feast~ of seven seafood dishes, or a few different kinds of fish prepared—you guessed it—in seven different. Want to turn your Feast of the Seven Fishes into a snacky cocktail party? Squid and Fennel Pasta with Lemon and Herbs.
Living Greener for Good Health By Eating Superfoods One terrific feature of adopting a green lifestyle is deciding to take life easier and enjoy yourself along the way. This is doable regardless of how filled and frenzied your life is. We must take a step back and fight diseases before they come about. Most folks think nothing of abusing their bodies today and fixing them with a pill later. We’re barraged with adverts for magic pills that are claimed to fix any problem instantly. Of course, you may get better by taking a pill but not if you continue the same old bad habits. Once your body wears out, you cannot exchange it for a new one, like your car. You should take care of yourself while you can. Your body cannot run correctly if it does not get the right nutrition. When you eat, do you pay attention to the nutritional value or simply eat whatever tastes good at the time? Do you typically eat junk food and lots of fried foods from fast food places? With all of the sugar-laden starchy and oily food that almost all people consume, it’s not surprising that new diseases are regularly occurring. There is an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, and many others, possibly induced by the foods that are consumed. Men and women are becoming more health conscious, and eating better, because they are tired of not feeling well. Now it is a lot easier to find quality foods by going to a local farmer’s market or health food store. Most likely, your local grocery store nowadays has an organic food aisle. In the organic food section, you’ll see the superfoods. Superfoods are 14 specific foods that can slow down or reverse certain serious diseases. You will discover that you think more clearly when you eat these superfoods. As you replace the junk food with the superfoods, you will notice a surprising increase in how much better you feel. Your body will begin to run as it was meant to when you provide it with the right nutrition. When this happens, the immune system is better able to fight off any malady. You should include a few superfoods in your diet everyday. Foods such as beans and berries are very good. Leagy greens, such as broccoli, spinach, and green tea. Walnuts and whole grains are a few other foods to include. Moreover, you may want to eat salmon, turkey, yogurt, soybean, tomatoes, oranges, and pumpkins. If you eat these superfoods, you won’t have to worry about your weight again. Observing a green living diet plan will provide you with just what you need to become healthy and fit. Your body will be free of disease as your immune system gets healthier. You can expect to have a healthy future by modifying your food choices right now.