Auntie Janes Caramel Shortcake. Once base is cool, place the brown sugar and butter in a medium saucepan and melt. Pour the caramel onto the shortbread base and leave to set for an hour in the fridge. Once set, melt the milk chocolate and pour over the caramel – melt the white chocolate and pour over too – swirl it into the milk chocolate with the end of a cake skewer so it forms a pretty pattern.
Add all the ingredients to a saucepan and melt, stirring continuously until the mixture is well combined, then spread on top of the caramel layer. Janes Hut Cakes is a home bakery for delicious handmade cakes and cupcakes in a wide varierty of flavours. Have a look at our wonder menu of cakes for you to choose from. You can cook Auntie Janes Caramel Shortcake using 14 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Auntie Janes Caramel Shortcake
- Prepare of Shortbread Base.
- It’s 150 grams of Self Raising Flour.
- Prepare 25 grams of Cornflour.
- You need 1 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 50 grams of Icing Sugar.
- You need 150 grams of unsalted butter.
- It’s of Caramel.
- Prepare 1 can of Condensed Milk.
- You need 150 grams of brown sugar.
- It’s 150 grams of unsalted butter.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s of Chocolate topping.
- Prepare 300 grams of Milk Chocolate.
- It’s 25 grams of unsalted butter.
For Caramel Layer Whisk the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, butter, golden syrup, vanilla and salt together in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, the butter melts and the mixture comes to a boil. Continually stir with a spatula to make sure no sugar sticks to the bottom of the pan. (This can leave brown specks in the caramel but won't affect the flavour.) To make the caramel filling, combine the dulce de leche, butter and sugar in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Whisking the mixture, bring to the boil (be careful as the mixture will be extremely hot). Pour evenly over the biscuit base, cover and leave to set for at least four hours or overnight at room temperature.
Auntie Janes Caramel Shortcake instructions
- Set oven at a cool heat, gas mark 1, 140°C (120°C, fan)..
- Place ingrediants for Shortbread base in bowl and rub in butter to make a crumb mix.
- Spread shortbread base over the base of a greased baking tray.
- Place shortbread base in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown..
- Allow base to cool, it usually takes 15 to 30 minutes to cool completely..
- Once base is cool, place the brown sugar and butter in a medium saucepan and melt..
- Once sugar and butter have melted add the condensed milk and boil rapidly for 2 minutes. Whisk when boiling..
- Remove caramel from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes then stir in the salt..
- Spread the caramel over the shortbread base. Then place in fridge to cool..
- Once the caramel is cool, melt chocolate and butter. Best to do this with chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of boiling water..
- Once the chocolate is melted spread it over the caramel and allow to set..
- Once set you can cut the Caramel Shortcake into squares..
Pour the caramel onto the shortbread base and leave to set for an hour in the fridge. Once set, melt the chocolate orange and pour over the caramel – melt the white chocolate and mix with a little orange food colouring and swirl it into the chocolate orange with the end of a cake skewer so it forms a pretty pattern or just drizzle it over. For the caramel: While the shortbread is baking, pour the condensed milk, syrup, sugar and butter into a saucepan. Cook over a low heat, stirring all the time. This takes a while but has to be done carefully otherwise it will stick to the pan and burn.
Foods That Make You Happy A lot of us have been trained to believe that comfort foods are not good and should be avoided. At times, if your comfort food is a high sugar food or some other junk food, this is very true. Otherwise, comfort foods can be super nourishing and good for you. Some foods honestly do boost your mood when you eat them. If you are feeling a little bit down and need a happiness pick me up, try a few of these. Eggs, you may be astonished to learn, are terrific at battling depression. Just see to it that you don’t toss out the yolk. Every time you want to cheer yourself up, the egg yolk is the most essential part of the egg. Eggs, especially the egg yolks, are loaded with B vitamins. These B vitamins are wonderful for helping to boost your mood. This is because these vitamins help your neural transmitters–the parts of your brain that control your mood–work better. Consume an egg and feel a lot happier! Build a trail mix from seeds and/or nuts. Peanuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, almonds, pumpkin seeds, etc are all fantastic for helping to boost your mood. This is because seeds and nuts have lots of magnesium which raises your brain’s serotonin levels. Serotonin is a feel-good chemical that directs the brain how to feel at any given time. The more serotonin in your brain, the happier you’ll feel. Not only that, nuts, in particular, are a great protein food source. Cold water fish are great for eating if you want to battle depression. Wild salmon, herring, mackerel, trout, and tuna are all high in omega-3 fatty acids and DHA. Omega-3 fatty acids and DHA are two things that actually help the grey matter in your brain run a lot better. It’s true: consuming a tuna fish sandwich can really help you fight depression. Grains can be good for overcoming a bad mood. Quinoa, millet, teff and barley are all really great for helping boost your happiness levels. These grains fill you up better and that can help you with your moods too. Feeling hungry can be terrible! The reason these grains are so wonderful for your mood is that they are not hard to digest. These foods are easier to digest than others which helps promote a rise in your blood sugar which in turn takes your mood to a happier place. Green tea is really excellent for your mood. You were sure green tea had to be included in this article, right? Green tea is loaded with an amino acid known as L-theanine. Research has discovered that this amino acid promotes the production of brain waves. This helps sharpen your mental energy while at the same time relaxing the rest of your body. You were already aware that green tea could help you be healthier. Now you are well aware that it helps you to lift your moods too! You can see, you don’t need to eat junk food or foods that are not good for you to feel better! Try a few of these instead!